The name that we decided to give our company, Smart Growth, as a concept, has received much attention over the last few years. We decided to take on this name as a statement of our dedication to making an impact on real estate congruent with this type of development. But how do the experts define it?
In its essence, “smart growth“ is about creating attractive economic opportunities, building great places where people want to live and visit, preserving the qualities people love about their communities, all the while protecting our environmental resources.
There has been much work put into defining smart growth specifically in the context of urban planning. We are proudly setting ourselves up as a company to implement strategies in real estate that move humanity forward in a sustainable way.
According to a report entitled This is Smart Growth, some of the principles behind this type of development include:
• Mix land uses
• Take advantage of compact building design
• Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
• Create walkable neighborhoods
• Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place
• Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas
• Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
• Provide a variety of transportation choices
• Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost effective
• Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions
So what are some outcomes when these principles are put into practice? In the same report, a good sense of what can be expected is described as follows:
“When communities choose smart growth strategies, they can create new neighborhoods and maintain existing ones that are attractive, convenient, safe, and healthy. They can foster design that encourages social, civic, and physical activity. They can protect the environment while stimulating economic growth. Most of all, we can create more choices for residents, workers, visitors, children, families, single people, and older adults—choices in where to live, how to get around, and how to interact with the people around them. When communities do this kind of planning, they preserve the best of their past while creating a bright future for generations to come.”
Our company is dedicated is to creating real estate opportunities that are in alignment with smart growth principles. We are at the beginning of our journey but see ways to go about doing this in profitable ways that greatly benefit homeowners, our communities and the wider environment.
Stay connected with us to see how we make this vision a reality!